Introduction

                                                                     Hello All! 

My name is Delicia Apodaca it's pronounced (Deh-lee-see-uh Ah-poh-da-ca). A lot of people struggle with the pronunciation so if you have trouble with it you can feel free to call me D. I'm a commuting freshman this year majoring in Art Education. With this degree I plan to become an elementary art school teacher because of the impact mine had on me growing up. I'd say I've pretty much been an artist my whole life, all presents for holidays and birthdays always revolved around art in some sort. In high school I had an art class every year: photography, pottery, painting, and advanced art. Acrylic painting is my main expertise but I love all sorts of different mediums. Since I was younger my uncle was my favorite artist, he's a tattoo artist and I aspire to be as good as he is one day. He's always lived super far away but I have several art pieces of his in my room inspiring me daily. 


                                              Frida Kahlo, The Two Fridas (Las dos Fridas), 1939, oil on canvas, 67-11/16 x 67-11/16" (Museo de Arte Moderno, Mexico City)

Frida Kahlo, The Two Fridas (Las dos Fridas), 1939, oil on canvas, 67-11/16 x 67-11/16″ (Museo de Arte Moderno, Mexico City)

I selected Las dos Fridas for my art piece because of what it represents. In Frida's diary she says the painting is originated from a memory of an imaginary childhood  friend. Later on she admitted it expressed her desperation and loneliness with the separation from Diego. I love the fact that these are clearly the same people but represented in two completely different ways. It's important to point out that in almost all her art, Frida uses facial hair as a metaphor to explore the themes of gender. 

I can't wait to see what this year brings us! If you ever want to get in contact leave a comment with your email and we can exchange info :) 

Best regards, 

Delicia Apodaca (she, her, hers) 

Comments

  1. Hi Delicia! I love your name, it's very pretty. I think that is awesome you want to be an elementary school art teacher. I also took a lot of art classes in high school and I loved my ceramics class. It was so relaxing and fun so I think it is awesome that you want to teach young kids all of your knowledge on art. I hope you do well in achieving your goals! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, Delicia! Just like you, my art teachers had an impact on me. I love how art has always been in your life and that your favorite artist is family. I wish you the best and hope you also have a positive impact on your future students!
    As for Frida Kahlo's paintings, it is very interesting to see her use facial hair as a metaphor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the pronunciation help! It was funny, and helpful. You have a very cool name, and you are going to have a blast teaching little kids art. Can't wait to hang out with you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts